Kiki (キキ , Kiki) is the main protagonist of Kiki's Delivery Service. She is a 13-year-old witch-in-training who sets up her own witch delivery service. She has a cat named Jiji. She is played by Minami Takayama in the original Japanese version, Lisa Michelson in the Streamline dub, and Kirsten Dunst in the Disney dub. Kiki is 13 years-old.
Kiki is strong-willed, leaving her home in Karikiya for a year at 13-years old in order to become trained to be a witch. She is very friendly, curious, kind-hearted, sweet, and upbeat, however is rather stubborn at times and proud, which is sometimes to her disadvantage. She is very attached to her pet black cat, Jiji, and introduces him as her best friend. Kiki is not ever so popular after her first arrival in Koriko, but gradually makes new friends with her customers and is the town heroine at the end.
Kiki has short, dark brown hair, which she ties back using a large, amaranth red bow. She wears a medium-sleeved, jet black dress, which mostly appears to be violet or indigo, white undergarments that consist of a tank top and bloomers, and amaranth red flats that look scarlet red at times.
At the beginning, she's dressed in a bright green, short-sleeved dress with a medium turtle-neck and a bright pink apron, long, grey socks that are falling down and the same shoes.
Kiki is not initially pleased with her appearance at the beginning of the film, but later on is told to like herself as a witch by her mother, Kokiri.
Kiki was born in the summer of 1947. She lives with her parents Okino, Kokiri, and pet cat, Jiji, until the night she decides to leave. It is customary for a witch at the age of 13 to spend a year away from home and start training.
Behind the Scenes
According to Hayao Miyazaki, "Instead of making other people happy, Kiki is the kind of person who ends up relying on others without realizing it. What concerns her the most are her feelings and her happiness. I didn't provide any instructions for the voice actor Minami Takayama, but her performance was astonishingly good. She claimed she could relate to Kiki's feelings."
"Kiki acts like a child in front of her parents, but when she's alone she has serious thoughts. While she might be blunt toward boys her age, she's respectful toward her seniors-particularly if she admires them. She's not, however, a calculating little girl. Her reactions-whether spontaneous, or simply manners she acquired from her parents-show how dynamic she is.", he added.
Character designer Katsuya Kondō elaborated on her design, "Initially, I followed the original story illustrations and drew Kiki with long hair, but this would have been difficult in terms of animation. Still wanting to be faithful to the original story, I had hair bundled with ribbons to be removed when she was alone in order to convey her dual nature. But this didn't really fit with her character so she ended up having short hair. I wanted her cheeks to be reddish from the start."
- Kiki uses a broomstick which can fly.
- She occasionally brings along a radio.
- Jiji (pet/best friend)
- Okino (father)
- Kokiri (mother)
- Tombo (friend)
- Ursula (friend)
- Dora (knowledge)
- Osono (employer/friend)
- Senior Witch (friend only in prologue)
"I'm gonna be the very best witch that I can be, Mom. And I know having a good heart is important."
- —Kiki, 'Kiki's Delivery Service'
"Maybe I can stay and find some other nice people who will like me and accept me for who I am."
- —Kiki, 'Kiki's Delivery Service'
- According to early concept art, Kiki's appearance was similar to her final appearance, one big difference was her hair which was longer and lighter. Miyazaki was unhappy with this design however and gave the character shorter hair but kept the bow to represent her youth.
- In the Streamline dub, Kiki was voiced by Lisa Michelson, who also voiced Satsuki Kusakabe in My Neighbor Totoro.
- Kiki was inspired by Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking.
- Kiki has a Totoro-like plushie from My Neighbor Totoro.
- In the Kirby series, she is the inspiration for an enemy called Keke, who appears to be a fusion of Kiki herself and Jiji.
- Kirsten Dunst, who is Kiki's voice actress in the Disney dub, sometimes goes by her character's name on occasion.
- Kiki makes a cameo appearance during the "goblin parade" scene in Takahata's Pom Poko, where she is seen flying on her broom.
- "The Art of Kiki's Delivery Service", p.28
- "The Art of Kiki's Delivery Service", p.46
- "The Art of Kiki's Delivery Service", p.32
|Kiki's Delivery Service|
|Main Cast||Kiki | Jiji|
|Kiki's Family||Kokiri | Okino|
|Osono's Family||Osono | Fukuo | Osono's Baby|
|Citizens of Koriko||Tombo | Ursula | Madame | Barsa | Lily | Maki | Ket | Ket's Mother | Jeff | Clock Tower Caretaker | Madame's Granddaughter | Policeman|
|Others||Dora | Senior Witch|
|Locations||Okino Residence | Karikiya | Koriko | Gütiokipänjä | Ursula's Log Cabin | Clock Tower (Koriko)|
|Music||Soundtracks | Rouge no Dengon | Yasashisa Ni Tsutsumareta Nara|